I Have a Dream....

So today we had our big Martin Luther King Junior Lesson. It was a really good lesson with all the students. We read a book on Martin Luther King Junior, and I followed with a clip of the "I Have a Dream" Speech. It was obvious that these students cannot grasp what was done in our history to people that had different skin color. In fact, one boy said he didn't have any kids in his class with different color skin, when others chimed in and said that they did. I told them that was cool that he couldn't remember because it shows how far we've come in our society. Years ago it would have been a big deal, whereas now everyone sees each other as equal in that classroom. It was really cool.

Following the clip, the students were instructed to write their own I Have a Dream Speech. I modeled my own essay, and instructed them on what I wanted them to do. Some of them got what I was trying to teach them, and some of them didn't.

On my essay I wrote things such as:

I have a dream that one day no one will be poor.
I have a dream that one day love will be shown to others more than hate.
I have a dream that one day everyone will have food on their table.
I have a dream that one day all family's will love each other instead of fight.

We talked about the bigger picture, etc. That being said, some of my students have trouble thinking outside of themselves. So, as I collected papers throughout the day, I found myself chuckling at times, as well as fighting tears. Here are some examples:

#1: I have a dream today that me and my Mommy stop fighting.
#2: I have a dream today that my Dad will stop drinking beer.
#3: I have a dream today that my Grandpa wasn't sick.
#4: I have a dream today that Annoyingboy would become a KU fan.
#5. I have a dream today that the poor had money.
#6: I have a dream today that it was warm.
#7: I have a dream today that chickens keep their eggs with them.
#8: I have a dream today that my Mother gets more nice. (Before writing this, the student asked if His Mom would read it!)
#9: I have a dream today that MeanMan does not come back in my life.
#10: I have a dream that I get a chicken.
#11: I dream that I get a KU Rocks Shirt.
#12: I have a dream that one day people will get the jobs they wanted.
#13: I have a dream that everyone will have the health they need.
#14: I have a dream that people will have enough money to pay their bills.
#15: I have a dream that kids won't do drugs.
#16: I have a dream today that no one will commit a crime.
#17: I have a dream today that people will not have car wrecks and leave their family behind.
#18: I have a dream today that one day I will have lots of books.
#19: I have a dream that one day everyone will be loved. (This was a favorite!)
#20: I have a dream that everyone that's bad will go to jail.
#21: I have a dream that everyone will have water.
#22: I have a dream that everyone will be unhungry.
#23: I have a dream today that everyone will have a pet.
#24: I have a dream that everyone will have a home.
#25: I have a dream that I will have better grades.

I loved this assignment, as it was very enlightening to where their hearts are at this time in our history.

Cool.

Life.
Is.
Good.