What I Take for Granted

Yesterday was one of those days that I was moving at a snail's pace. I got to Awakening later than I had planned, but I really didn't care. I was just glad to be there.

When I walked by the bleachers, a young man called me over to talk to him. I recognized him as one of my passengers from Sunday Evening. He stood up and said, "Can we go somewhere and talk?" My initial thought was to err on the side of caution, and said, "sure" but had no intention of leaving the room with him. As it turned out, we moved by the entrance and he admitted to me that he can't read. My heart leapt for him. My guess is that he's in his early twenties. I asked him his schedule and he said he was pretty free. So, I offered to meet him at the Coffee Shop by the Prayer Room today at 3:30. I knew that there was a chance that he wouldn't show, as I suspect he's from a pretty rough background.

While I was right, he didn't show up today, it made me start thinking about what I take for granted. I can read. I like to read. I read every night before I go to bed. I read blogs, emails, and Facebook throughout the day, just for fun. I have a library card that I use at least twice a week because I enjoy reading so much. Reading is easy to me, and is a lot of fun!

I thought about this young man who said he can't read. I don't know for sure if he can read or not, but the more I have thought about it, the more my heart aches for anyone who can't read. I take it for granted that I can read, and many people can't read at all. I know I teach kids to read, but I will admit that I had never really taken time to think about adults who can't read.

I feel blessed to be able to read.

As for the young man, I saw him later when I was driving shuttles but never did get to talk to him. I plan on offering to help him again. For tonight, and days to come, I will pray for him.

Life is too short not to be able to do something if you really want to do it.

*grin*

Life.
Is.
Good.