Ignorance...

I was going to discuss the asinine conversation I had while picking up dinner this evening...but I already rambled about it on Dennis's blog...so, I'm going to discuss another asinine conversation. (If you haven't noticed, "asinine" is the word of the week...my freshmen love it. So, we've been using it as much as we possibly can.)

In previous posts I've shared with you all that I teach the lower-tracked classes. They're a challenge, but I really enjoy my students. It took a while, but I earned their trust and loyalty. And that trust and loyalty is reciprocated. They might have to try a bit harder...and I might have to do some crazy things to reach them, but once I do, they get it.

At the school where I teach, there are myths floating around about those students. I teach in a very affluent district, and many people try to ignore those kids who don't have as much money or aren't college-bound or have some behavior problems. If they can't ignore those kids, then they make ridiculous comments.

For example, during lunch we were discussing curriculum mapping, and we decided to teach Of Mice and Men in the average freshmen class. I chimed in and said that the lower-tracked class would do the same things, just at a slower pace and possibly with an adapted reader. One of the other teachers asked, "Do you think they can handle Romeo and Juliet and The Odyssey. I told her that they could with a bit more guidance....then she says, "Well, what about Of Mice and Men? Do you think they'd get that? Do you think they'll be bright enough to see a bit of themselves in Lenny?"

My blood boiled. I had to leave the lunch room I was so angry...seething is a good word for it. I just don't understand how a person could be so ignorant. They're students. They have a brain. It may function a bit differently from ours, but it's there. After I got back to my room, I thought of a response to her comment...something smart-allecky about shooting them, as well. But it's probably best I didn't think of it while I was angry.

**I'm not proofreading this because I want to get to sleep...so, I apologize for any and all grammatical errors. What kind of English teacher am I?!?!**