Parent/Teacher Conferences...

Blech.

I had some not-so-nice parents meet with me. I'll just share the highlights...

  • The woman whose daughter isn't turning in homework in my class...she told me that her daughter has always loved language arts, so it must be me. She proceeded to tell me how I should teach...because apparently I didn't go to school to learn that.
  • "I know you're not paid enough to go above and beyond..." I wanted to say, "Well, I did become a teacher for the money, so that's kind of an issue."
  • The woman who implied that one of my students has a bad home life because his lesbian mother and her partner are the ones raising him. Apparently students like this can go one of two ways: they can emulate behavior and become effeminate or become loud and obnoxious.
  • The parent who asked why I didn't assign more homework...Well, I'm pretty sure I'm swamped with grading as it is, so I don't know that I'll be assigning any more than the assignment per night.
  • The 6'10" military man who told me that I'm young and attractive and his son can be very charming...so, he wouldn't want his son to charm his way into getting away with anything. Are you kidding?? I'm 24 years old. Does he seriously think I can be charmed by a 15 year old??
  • The woman who told me she knows her son is disrespectful and that he's the same way at home, and she simply does not know what to do with him....I've got a lovely idea...Punish him!
  • Smiling and attempting to be sympathetic throughout all this....
Needless to say, I'm glad they're over.